no stutter-free movies

Forum to discuss the Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 III Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

no stutter-free movies

Postby wagnerb » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 am

Hi, can anyone tell me why it is not possible to view even simple (lo-res) movies stutter-free? I don't have seen one flash movie so far that doesn't stutter. The output is configured to 50 Hz, the source is 50Hz too, so that cant' be the problem.

Regards
wagnerb

Re: no stutter-free movies

Postby shishir332 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:44 am

That's a very generic problem statement. You may want to provide more information as to when and where it happens. Most likely your CPU/GPU is under heavy load already at the time when you play your movies resulting in frame drags and freezes.

Install a task manager from the play store and check the CPU% usage and kill any unnecessary apps which might be hogging your RAM and CPU.

HTH,
shishir332

Postby wagnerb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 am

ok, installed different CPU Tools, in every kind of play situation CPU load is around 50% (flash embedded in browser or dedicated player with avi's or mkv's).
You can see a smooth video streaming for about 1 second and then it starts to stutter for about 0,5 seconds, 1 second stutter-free, 0,5 sec not... and so on
There's no dependece on browser (built in or Chrome), or the source material (avi, mkv, flash). Output is set to 720p 50Hz. The TV Info screen acknowledges that. Source material is 50 Hz. I don't get any picture when set to 1080p.
For comparison: My 4 years old Popcorn Hour plays the same movies without any stutter on the same TV!
wagnerb

Postby wagnerb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Maybe it's my sensitive eyes, but I can't imagine that no one is distracted by that annoyance? Can anyone Play a movie in 50Hz without any distortions?
wagnerb

Postby shishir332 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Any specific reason why you want to stick to 50Hz and not 60 ?
shishir332

Postby wololo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:13 pm

wagnerb wrote:Maybe it's my sensitive eyes, but I can't imagine that no one is distracted by that annoyance? Can anyone Play a movie in 50Hz without any distortions?

I've had stutter in digital movies since the first day I started using a computer to watch movies.
I *do* see a stutter in horizontal scrolls on the MK802 III, but nothing different from what I had on a high end computer, or on Blu rays playing from my PS3, or in movie theaters, for that matter.

I ended up accepting the fact that 29.97fps is not good enough for my bionic eyes.
Review of the MK802 IV - Review of the MK802 III - Review of the air mouse MK702 II
My list of 10 "Must Have" apps for your Android TV (2014 edition)
Tutorial: watch Netflix outside of the US (this method works way better than VPN!)
wololo

Postby wagnerb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:09 am

I wouldnt say that. If you set the frequency of the computer exactly to the frequency of the source (movie) AND your TV/Monitor is capable of delievering that frequency than the movies play stutter free, even for the most sensitive eyes like mine. The Popcorn Players are a good example because they have a autoframerate feature (frequency is adjusted automatically from the source). Modern Monitors set themselves to the correct output frequencies like 23.976, 24, 29.97, 50, 60 Hz.

The Rikomagic Output is set correctly to the 50Hz Output frequency, I can see that on the TV. The source is 50Hz and still I have massive horizontal stuttering within camera movements.
wagnerb

Return to Rikomagic MK802 III Forum