MK802 Notebook!

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Re: MK802 Notebook!

Postby edrompa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Got mine working. The first USB cable I got was not a true 5 pin cable. I ordered another I saw that was confirmed to be working and it works great. Anyone try disabling the power off on lid close yet? Also does the enter button not work in most things or is it just me.
edrompa

Postby t-bon3 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 am

edrompa wrote:Got mine working. The first USB cable I got was not a true 5 pin cable. I ordered another I saw that was confirmed to be working and it works great. Anyone try disabling the power off on lid close yet? Also does the enter button not work in most things or is it just me.

Can you send a link to the cable that you have that is confirmed working, the one I have is not.

I have it hacked by shorting pins 4 and 5 on the mini-usb socket using a staple but it's not very reliable.

t-bon3

Postby t-bon3 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:26 pm

nighduckman wrote:Thanks for all the great suggestions. I was able to jury rig a working connection last night by getting a simple hdmi adapter and cutting and splicing a usb connection for the rikomagic to a micro usb input for the lapdock. So, now, I have everything working...with one frustrating exception. I was hoping there would be a way to get sound to a set of earphones. I get sound just fine through the speakers but wonder how 1.) I can play sound through earphones and 2.) turn the speakers off so I can just listen to the earphones alone like on any laptop. I am using the first generation Atrix lapdock that I modified for my Droid Razr. When I am using the Razr and the webtop app, if I plug earphones directly into the phone, that shuts off the speakers. Has anyone figured out how to listen to earphones on the Rikomagic/lapdock mod while, simultaneously, being able to shut the speakers off?

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

You can use a USB sound-card to get headphone output.
You need to manually switch between HDMI/Codec audio output, Settings -> Sound -> Audio output mode.
t-bon3

Postby Mandroid » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:43 am

Has anyone figured out how to increase the screen resolution??
Mandroid

Postby ptulluri » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:24 am

andykirby wrote:Hi thanks for your comments, :D

You are correct in all your assumptions, I used a female micro HDMI to male mini hdmi converter to connect the video output of the MK802 (I could only find one seller on eBay in the uk selling these)

I liked the idea of having the MK802 standing up in the dock but the connectors were so close to each other and would not allow the MK802 to stand up on the HDMI socket with a micro USB adapter connected as well so I had to do a slight mod to the lapdock and move the micro USB connector inside the lapdock case, I could then connect a female micro USB socket (which I spliced from an old lead) and create a short lead which terminated in a full size USB plug that could be connected to the MK802's full size USB socket in order to hook up the keyboard, trackpad and hub.

At the time of the photo this USB lead was just hanging out of the bottom of the lapdock case but now it comes out of the hole where the micro USB used to be, you can see this in the video.

One thing that has to be done when connecting the MK802 to the lapdock's micro USB socket is to remove the red power wire that tries to send power from the lapdock back up the lead to the MK802, whilst you would think the MK802 could be powered from this, it can't, well it can but then USB won't work. I oringinally tried this using the mini usb connector on the MK802. The guys at Pi found this out and split the lead out and used the red power wire to power the computer.

At the moment I just power my MK802 from one of the USB sockets on the lapdock using a standard to mini USB lead.

The plan is to make it neater by using a right angled USB lead for the top of the Mk802 and then taking the power from the micro USB connector (now inside the lapdock) and have a small mini USB lead coming out of the same hole as the other USB lead which would connect to the mini connector on the MK802.

I'll try and put up some close up pics soon to make it a bit easier to see!

As for your question about battery life, it's pretty good actually. I got about 3-4 hours out of it and im not actually sure if the battery was fully charged. I thought that was pretty impressive.

All the best,

Andy

Hi,

HI, Andy what are the required accessories to Connect the new MK802 II to the Motorola lapdock

Thanks
Pavan
ptulluri

Postby ptulluri » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:24 am

andykirby wrote:Hi thanks for your comments, :D

You are correct in all your assumptions, I used a female micro HDMI to male mini hdmi converter to connect the video output of the MK802 (I could only find one seller on eBay in the uk selling these)

I liked the idea of having the MK802 standing up in the dock but the connectors were so close to each other and would not allow the MK802 to stand up on the HDMI socket with a micro USB adapter connected as well so I had to do a slight mod to the lapdock and move the micro USB connector inside the lapdock case, I could then connect a female micro USB socket (which I spliced from an old lead) and create a short lead which terminated in a full size USB plug that could be connected to the MK802's full size USB socket in order to hook up the keyboard, trackpad and hub.

At the time of the photo this USB lead was just hanging out of the bottom of the lapdock case but now it comes out of the hole where the micro USB used to be, you can see this in the video.

One thing that has to be done when connecting the MK802 to the lapdock's micro USB socket is to remove the red power wire that tries to send power from the lapdock back up the lead to the MK802, whilst you would think the MK802 could be powered from this, it can't, well it can but then USB won't work. I oringinally tried this using the mini usb connector on the MK802. The guys at Pi found this out and split the lead out and used the red power wire to power the computer.

At the moment I just power my MK802 from one of the USB sockets on the lapdock using a standard to mini USB lead.

The plan is to make it neater by using a right angled USB lead for the top of the Mk802 and then taking the power from the micro USB connector (now inside the lapdock) and have a small mini USB lead coming out of the same hole as the other USB lead which would connect to the mini connector on the MK802.

I'll try and put up some close up pics soon to make it a bit easier to see!

As for your question about battery life, it's pretty good actually. I got about 3-4 hours out of it and im not actually sure if the battery was fully charged. I thought that was pretty impressive.

All the best,

Andy

Hi,

HI, Andy what are the required accessories to Connect the new MK802 II to the Motorola lapdock

Thanks
Pavan
ptulluri

Postby NOD » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:03 am

Any reports on using the Asus Padfone Station & asus Padfone keyboard dock with the MK802 & similar?
NOD

Postby t-bon3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Just wanted to post an update on my lapdock. I needed something to support the MK802 when it's mounted directly on the micro HDMI plug.

The lapdock cuts the power if the HDMI disconnects. Movement causes the MK802 to wobble around enough to momentarily disconnect the HDMI and cause a reboot, this makes it impossible to use in a vehicle. :x

So I fashioned a clip-on extension to the dock bracket using 2 old credit cards and some superglue. Hopefully the pictures will explain:

From the side.

View from the front, clipped onto the lapdock

View from the back.

The cards and the back of the dock now take the weight of the MK802 + cable, instead of the HDMI plugs.

No more wobbles!

It will even close flat when not in use!
t-bon3

Postby MysticWhiteDragon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 pm

@t-bon3: Nice idea! I have multiple faux credit cards that I kept for miscellaneous uses. I never thought of doing that but I will now! I think I will also use some electrical tape to blacken the card. That will also give it some rubbery texture to prevent it from sliding around on the card.
MysticWhiteDragon

Postby vplester » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Recently purchased the MK802ii (version 2). After discovering and reading this forum, I decided to get a Motorola Atrix 4G Lapdock, which has arrived. Now the challenge is getting the proper cables to marry them up. I read through the forum, but I do not believe I've seen anyone order a video cable that has:

1) Female micro HDMI on one side (to the dock's male connector), and
2) Female HDMI on the other (to the MK802ii's male connector).

I have looked around but can't seem to locate one. Any ideas on a supplier for one of these?

Thanks!
vplester

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum