MK802 Notebook!

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Re: MK802 Notebook!

Postby Ripley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:39 am

NeoStormer wrote:It can be done with two cables, without splicing.

I just ordered a lapdock for myself and was wondering what cables/adaptors I should get, specifically?

Thanks much! :)

-Ripley
Ripley

Postby andykirby » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:44 am

NeoStormer wrote:Yeah the plan is to replace the dock area completely, may use the rubber external shell for looks.

I'll be using the MK802's USB port for a small Bluetooth dongle.

I'm planning to see if I can run Chrome OS on it as while I love Android I have found it difficult at times to use it as a desktop OS.

I'll let you know how the 3D model goes, I'm still waiting on the machine to be fixed up with more material.

I'll trade ya a copy of my part for another MK802, lol.

You got yourself a deal my man! I would love to get the MK802 inside the lapdock properly.

I know what you mean about Android being difficult at times to use as a proper desktop OS. The mouse pointer feels sticky using the lapdock under android to me.

Im now using Xubuntu for desktop tasks and I have to say, combined with the Chromium browser it rocks. Ive actually been using it today to process orders! I've currently got about 10 tabs open and its running pretty quick. I was also playing around installing some apps from the Chrome store yesterday and they work pretty well. Based on that I would say Chrome OS would run pretty well on this platform.
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby t-bon3 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 am

Ripley wrote:I just ordered a lapdock for myself and was wondering what cables/adaptors I should get, specifically?

Well you can do it with 1 adapter and 1 cable then the MK802 will be 'mounted' onto the lapdock. I have the lapdock but am waiting for the MK802.
So one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230764296222
and one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290598237469
t-bon3

Postby teuteute73 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:49 am

NeoStormer wrote:It can be done with two cables, without splicing.

I'm an happy owner of a Motorola lapdock. I know now how to recycle it.
But like everyone in this thread please Neostormer can you tell us how it can work with only two cables ? And which cables did you use?
Maybe you can also add a picture of the back of your laptop ;)
It would be great :-)

Matt from France
teuteute73

Postby Stuartc2uk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi

I am no expert but could the same type for thing be done with a pad station and its dock (keyb/touch pad). You could when not buy the Asus padfone or have both thus the padfone station (tablet part - just screen, ports and battery) would still be useable when not docked with padfone. Of course pad station may refuse to work as it may detect the MK802 as unknown device.

padfone link

http://uk.asus.com/Mobile/PadFone/

Regards

Stuart
Stuartc2uk

Postby NeoStormer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 pm

You'll want to just three items in-order to make it work:

Mini HDMI Male To Micro HDMI Female Adapter

Mini-A 5P 5Pin USB Male To Micro-B 5P 5Pin USB Female Extension

Micro HDMI Male to Female Cable

The only reason for the last one is because the dock does not allow the other two to be placed side by side, so it's your call if you want to modify something to make it fit or spend the extra, total cost come to about $20.

That 5-pin to 5-pin is the most crucial part in order for the unit to be powered by one cable. Hope this helps, if there's anything else you have questions about just let me know.
Visit my Website: NeoStormer Robotics

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

Postby teuteute73 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks NeoStormer,
I've just ordered these items.
Really excited to have this mini PC ! ;)
teuteute73

Postby zproc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Hello, I received my Lapdock (already got the MK802 1gb version - and also should receive my RasPi tomorrow), already ordered the HDMI adaptator & cable and ordered one of those

tho I can't see this page on ebay:

it's the first time i see this message on ebay o_O

"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay."

Weird. (I'm in France)
So... are they exactly the same the cables/plugs? (sorry if the question is dumb...)
zproc

Postby NeoStormer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Like I said earlier:

That 5-pin to 5-pin is the most crucial part in order for the unit to be powered by one cable.

They're not exactly the same so I can't guarentee it'll work, but it says 5-pin so give it a shot.

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

Postby NeoStormer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 pm

So I've been doing some testing, and managed to get Plex working easily, occasionally it's slow but I really need to upgrade my router from G to N since most of my devices already have N. I'm also counting on the new firmware for the MK802 to speed up the processing. Blu-ray quality movies (like TRON Legacy) work perfectly and run straight off of a flash drive through the Lapdock.

On another note, I've been taking apart both the MK802 and the Lapdock to work out the sizing requirements for the 3D part:

It's gonna work once a shave a few tabs out and cut out the non-needed stuff. Sorry I won't be able to make parts for everyone, but I'll try to make three: one for me to keep, one for Andy as a trade, and I'll put one on eBay for the highest bidder.

NeoStormer

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum