MK802 Notebook!

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Re: MK802 Notebook!

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:55 am

Received lapdock in the mail, cables still arriving. In the meantime, does it only power up if something is drawing power from it?
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby TimW » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 pm

IIRC, the micro usb port is powered on when the dock is open, even when the screen is closed, and the screen is powered only if something is connected to the HDMI port. My HDMI connector came before everything else and I was able to get the display working by connecting only the HDMI.
TimW

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 pm

While waiting for the HDMI cables to arrive, and more usb ones too, I managed to get a female micro to male mini usb adapter, but opening the lapdock does not power on the MK802. Even charged the lapdock to be sure it was powered.
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby TimW » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:00 am

Just did a quick test with mine (I'm home, now). No power on any port unless the hdmi is connected. I guess that's mixed news for you - at least the lapdock isn't broken, but you can't do anything without the hdmi adaptor.
TimW

Postby NeoStormer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 pm

1 Sale a Day is currently selling the Lapdock for $50 and free shipping:

http://1saleaday.com/flash/lapdock/

This is where I got mine, so i'd expect a UK style keyboard, but shipping is quite fast.

I'll have more news on my 3D part modification later.
Visit my Website: NeoStormer Robotics

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

Postby NeoStormer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 pm

So my current setup allows for the cables to connect more directly:

The parts that have been removed are being 3D modeled at the moment using SolidWorks, because of their unusual shape it's taking some time to get it right. I'll be printing replicas of the current parts to make sure they're exact and then make an adapter that fits them for the MK802. I believe I might have small problems mounting the MK802 due to it not having any mounting holes and having ports on all sides, best attempt is just try to replicate the MK802 shell. Hoping to make the microSD accessible from the rear of the lapdock, also wondering about if I'll need to add a port for firmware upgrades or just disassemble the lapdock each time.

But I'm open to suggestions.

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

Postby Tatanko » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:05 pm

NeoStormer wrote:I believe I might have small problems mounting the MK802 due to it not having any mounting holes and having ports on all sides, best attempt is just try to replicate the MK802 shell. Hoping to make the microSD accessible from the rear of the lapdock, also wondering about if I'll need to add a port for firmware upgrades or just disassemble the lapdock each time.

There's got to be a way that you can make it so that it's both easily removable and also integrated at the same time. Since you have the opportunity to design a case from scratch, we will have to get creative for you ;) Can you give me a better idea of how you want to integrate it into the lapdock? Seems to me it should fit nicely where the original dock was, and given that you won't need the full USB port on the end for peripherals (since the lapdock has two USB ports), I wouldn't worry about blocking it in where it can't be used. Having not seen a lapdock in person yet, I'm assuming that the original dock simply fits in place with two little nubs or whatever so that it can swivel. Am I correct? Since you're making your own case, you could just add similar pieces on each end of your case and just pop it in where the original dock was. Then it would be a simple matter of figuring out how to neatly package the HDMI and USB connections needed for the MK802 to interface with the lapdock.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. That was pretty much me thinking out loud.
MK802+
--Rev.2 firmware (4.0.4), 1GB RAM, a few tweaks...
Late '11 Macbook Pro 15"
--OS X 10.8.3, 2.4 GHz, 1GB graphics, 16GB RAM, high-res screen
iPhone 5
--iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken, 16GB storage
Tatanko

Postby NeoStormer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 am

3D Model Progress, with Rendering:

I plan on printing this soon to see if my dimensions are correct, I do plan on modifying this greatly when the final product is made.

NeoStormer

Postby Tatanko » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:43 am

NeoStormer wrote:3D Model Progress, with Rendering:

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MiM9qr9-jYc/UBIodkqAhhI/AAAAAAAAJGA/ijV5ZpVFuw0/s1920/MK802Lapdock.Final+Color+Output.png[img]

I plan on printing this soon to see if my dimensions are correct, I do plan on modifying this greatly when the final product is made.

Are you sure you can't be talked into producing these? I'm sure you could make some decent money ;)
MK802+
--Rev.2 firmware (4.0.4), 1GB RAM, a few tweaks...
Late '11 Macbook Pro 15"
--OS X 10.8.3, 2.4 GHz, 1GB graphics, 16GB RAM, high-res screen
iPhone 5
--iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken, 16GB storage
Tatanko

Postby andykirby » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:55 am

I've been eagerly waiting for an update to this project! :D

A great start! When you've got a finished version give me a shout.

Theres a few printing shops online now that will print from a drawing so if you didnt want to get involved in the hassle of doing it yourself you could come to an agreement with one of them and make these to order if it tunrs out theres some real interest.
andykirby
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum