MK802 Notebook!

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Re: MK802 Notebook!

Postby TimW » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:03 pm

hrgdavid wrote:Tim,

I think I must be slightly behind you in the process. I've got the lapdock, the Raspberry Pi ,the MK802 and the HDMI connectors - but am sat waiting for the USB cables/adapters from China. So in the hope I can buy my USB cables from the UK like you, please can I just check one thing.

One of those links was for a micro USB female to USB type A male. Clearly the micro female end connects up with the adapter and goes onto the lapdock. But what do you do with the other end ? Do you connect the type-A male end of the cable to the USB host socket on the MK802 ? Or do you have another adapter and connect it to the Mini USB OTG socket ? I thought to provide power and data you either needed a 5 pin USB cable (and the one on Amazon isn't) or you needed a Y-cable like for the Raspberry Pi (and the one on Amazon isn't).

Hope this makes sense ! Thanks for any help.

Regards
David L.

You can do either. The adapter needed to connect the end of the cable to the Mini USB on the MK802 comes in the box with the MK802 and that is how I generally use it. But I have tried connecting it to the host socket on the MK802 directly and that seems to work as well though (IIRC) the wire is a bit short.

I know that the description for the cable doesn't explicitly state that all the pins are connected but it turns out that they are - or at least sufficient pins are connected that it works to supply power to the MK802, and for the keyboard and trackpad to work. Contrari-wise, one USB coupler I bought said it was 5 pin, but it doesn't work - probably because it isn't fully connected. These poor product descriptions are what makes it so hard to get a working combination, and is why I thought letting everyone know that this particular cable does work was a good idea.
TimW

Postby MysticWhiteDragon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:41 pm

NeoStormer,

Why not look into something like http://www.shapeways.com for others to purchase. You upload the design and they will print and send it out to anyone who orders them. I'm not sure, but, I think that you can even set a price point. So you may be able to make a small profit for your time. It's from the USA, so I'm not sure about international shipping, but just an idea.
MysticWhiteDragon

Postby andykirby » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:52 pm

Yes that is a good idea, this is what the Rasberry Pi guys were doing when there wasnt a commercial case available. Damn I still want to get my MK802 embedded!!
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby MysticWhiteDragon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:41 pm

andykirby, that's the primary reason I mentioned it. Right now, I have a Raspberry Pi hooked up to my Motorola Atrix lapdock (no I don't have an Atrix). I don't have a MK802 but might plan on buying the MK802 II. I just really wanted to have the MK802 internalized first and thought that this might be a good way with what NeoStormer has done.
MysticWhiteDragon

Postby Demiurge » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Is it possible to do this without modifying the hardware on the lapdock? If so, I'm all over this. I think this is a great idea that I'm really, really excited about.
Demiurge

Postby NeoStormer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:31 am

From what I've read, there's a few things I need to address.

First is the progress, so far the 3D modeling is going along smoothly, there was some major revisions to the prototype that was needed, and i'm almost to a point of reprinting a new part, I've been away for the past week and while I did intend on replying earlier I found the forum was inaccessible to post before I left.

As for mass 3D printing for the many, I understand that many of you want these even if I can't print them all, as from my understanding shapeways does not allow me to make a profit (in-fact it makes them a profit from my work), I will research a way to allow others to benefit from my work while also making a small profit.

Now for the catches; even if I allowed others to print parts, the Lapdock and MK802 does need modification (as in cutting, soldering, etc) so you would have to prepare yourselves for that (if you bought the Lapdock for this mod then you shouldn't have a problem). The other issue is that my classes start in a little under a week so this project will become second to that but I will try my hardest to finish it early, not only that but the 3D printer will be in use by other people so my print time my become limited.

Please do not worry about this project too much as I do intend to stick with it and not abandon it as I want this working myself, I'll try to keep you updated weekly.
Visit my Website: NeoStormer Robotics

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

Postby nighduckman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 pm

I have, hopefully, a simple question about attaching the MK802 to my Atrix lapdock. The question is that I have looked closely at the posts and pictures on this board and also at a picture on another board describing the mod. In the picture on this Board I was hoping someone could describe the specific connections I have to make from the relevant ports on the MK802 to the corresponding ports on the Lapdock. I understand some adapters are needed but am unclear on the exact connections I need to make. Also, one of the posts on this board talks about needing to cut some wire, but I am unclear as to which wire to cut and really nervous about cutting any wires on the lapdock itself. On the other picture I saw on another board, the picture just shows the MK802 laying flat on the table with two cables that run from ports on the MK802 to, I presume, the hdmi and mini usb ports on the lapdock. But, there, still, I can't ascertain the exact connections. I am interested in learning if there is any way to connect the MK802 without cutting any wires on the MK802 or the lapdock.

Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance!
nighduckman

Postby nighduckman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:16 pm

I have, hopefully, a simple question about attaching the MK802 to my Atrix lapdock. The question is that I have looked closely at the posts and pictures on this board and also at a picture on another board describing the mod. In the picture on this Board I was hoping someone could describe the specific connections I have to make from X port on the MK802 to the corresponding port on the Lapdock. I understand some adapters are needed but am unclear on the exact connections I need to make. Also, one of the posts on this board talks about needing to cut some wire, but I am unclear as to which wire to cut and really nervous about cutting any wires on the lapdock itself. On the other picture I saw on another board, the picture just shows the MK802 laying flat on the table with two cables that run from ports on the MK802 to, I presume, the hdmi and mini usb ports on the lapdock. But, there, still, I can't ascertain the exact connections. I am interested in learning if there is any way to connect the MK802 without cutting any wires on the MK802 or the lapdock.

nighduckman

Postby andykirby » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks for the update, of course that is a valid thing you have indentified about having carry modifications to the lapdock itself. I think most folk understand this and if we could come up with a guide on what needs to be done then that would make things easier.

It's up to you how you want to play it regarding production. If we can get a final design and find a cost effective way of producing this We can offer this for sale via cloudsto so everyone can have access to it.

Keep us posted.
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby TimW » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:02 am

nighduckman wrote:I have, hopefully, a simple question about attaching the MK802 to my Atrix lapdock. The question is that I have looked closely at the posts and pictures on this board and also at a picture on another board describing the mod. In the picture on this Board I was hoping someone could describe the specific connections I have to make from X port on the MK802 to the corresponding port on the Lapdock. I understand some adapters are needed but am unclear on the exact connections I need to make. Also, one of the posts on this board talks about needing to cut some wire, but I am unclear as to which wire to cut and really nervous about cutting any wires on the lapdock itself. On the other picture I saw on another board, the picture just shows the MK802 laying flat on the table with two cables that run from ports on the MK802 to, I presume, the hdmi and mini usb ports on the lapdock. But, there, still, I can't ascertain the exact connections. I am interested in learning if there is any way to connect the MK802 without cutting any wires on the MK802 or the lapdock.

If you buy the cables and adapters I listed in my earlier post you don't have to cut any wires or modify the MK802 or Lapdock in any way. The adapters which connect to the lapdock are fractionally too big to connect as is, but it is easy (it must be if I can do it, as I'm not the most practical person) to trim a little of the plastic off the inside edges of the adapters so that they fit. If you replace the HDMI adapters from my post with the female micro hdmi - female micro hdmi adapter from e-bay recommend in some other posts (and the appropriate cable - freely available) you won't have to even trim the adapters. I have both sets of hdmi connectors and I prefer the way I recommended (even though it involves trimming the adapters) because the HDMI adapters support the MK802 and I don't have any dangling wires - just a USB cable which is short enough that is isn't a nuisance.

The cable cutting/dock manufacturing posts are for those people who can handle a soldering iron or what ever tool is required far more proficiently than I can 8^).

I'll try and post a picture of my set-up at some point.

BTW Amazon UK have cheap lap-docks available again - £69.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Lapdoc ... B00519L43M The keyboards seem to be for some Nordic country but they are Qwerty and have (AFAICT) all the necessary keys except for £.
TimW

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum