MK802 Notebook!

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Re: MK802 Notebook!

Postby andykirby » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:00 am

:D That looks familiar :o

It looks like its going to be totally possible as well doesn't it.

Keep us up to date with your progress and I'll look forward to seeing the 3D part (i'll have your MK802 at the ready!)
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby zproc » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:39 pm

NeoStormer wrote:Like I said earlier:

That 5-pin to 5-pin is the most crucial part in order for the unit to be powered by one cable.

They're not exactly the same so I can't guarentee it'll work, but it says 5-pin so give it a shot.

Thank you.
zproc

Postby servili007 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:27 am

Be very careful, I bought some "5 pin" cables on ebay to use as a direct power and connection cable to the lapdock, but they did not actually connect pin 4 between the micro and mini USB, making them useless.

Here is the cable I picked up - http://www.ebay.com/itm/290598237469?ss ... 1497.l2648
servili007

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:38 am

I see that a number of companies have offered the lapdock, for instance, AT&T, Motorola, etc. Are they all exactly the same unit/model, or, are their slight differences?
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby andykirby » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 pm

I think they are the same TBH, minus branding, having had this thing apart a few times I can see how it would be easy for the manufacturer to adapt it to allow it to interface with lots of different handsets. It would be interesting to know "who" actually manufactures it because its a nicely made piece of kit.

I still want to get my MK802 properly mounted inside but also it would be nice if once installed the board could be removed easily too so that I could just upgrade the main part (especially when we finally get that dual core version)

Neostormer, how you getting on with that 3D part? Im wondering whether it would be an idea to replace the whole bottom of the rubberised back plate so it looks super OEM. Be great to know how your getting along with this anyway!
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:35 pm

andykirby wrote:I think they are the same TBH, minus branding, having had this thing apart a few times I can see how it would be easy for the manufacturer to adapt it to allow it to interface with lots of different handsets. It would be interesting to know "who" actually manufactures it because its a nicely made piece of kit.

Ok, so re adapt, does that mean that AT&T version only allows AT&T phone, and the Motorola one only allows Motorola phone, etc? Perhaps another way to ask the question is, for purposes of hooking up an MK802, does it matter whose version one uses?
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby andykirby » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:44 pm

It shouldn't matter which dock you use as the way I see it we need two connections for the MK802; HDMI and USB. HDMI will be the same for all devices and the micro USB should be the same in all versions, ie using the full 5 pin method to allow power + USB host over one cable/connector.
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby NeoStormer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 pm

I've just started working on the part, sorry no photos yet, I've been out of the lab for a week, I want to try to have the model done by the end of the week but I'll see how it goes.

I would replace the whole back but I kinda like the whole black rubber texture on it, it's such a well made piece of equipment. I do plan on removing all the Motorola branding though.
Visit my Website: NeoStormer Robotics

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

Postby MJamus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:15 am

Neostormer, I know you can't make enough 3D parts for everyone, but will you make the plans available to all?
MJamus

Postby servili007 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:44 pm

There are differences among the lapdock. The Atrix lapdock has its ports lined up for the motorola atrix. This one is sold both without branding by motorola in europe and some parts of the US, and by AT&T directly for their atrix (discontinued for the most part). Some phones have their ports lined up in a similar manner, and if they support webtop (or proper detection of the HIDs on the lapdock and can mirror their displays), then they can use the lapdock as well. The bionic lapdock has its ports aligned with the bionic, which also allows for use with the motorola photon, atrix 2, and plenty of others, again based on port direction, spacing, and order.

The lapdock 100 and 500 have their ports in line with the bionic lapdock, but there are reports that both will not just accept any old signal (AKA they are not dummy devices) and interact with their intended devices to activate, so I would not bother with either).
servili007

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum